By T. L. Keller
On Sunday, October 17, a Pentagon spokeswoman revealed that the Department of Defense (DoD) has had an active, UFO program since 2007 and that it was terminated in 2012 due to lack of funding. Some sources indicate that the program called Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification (AATIP) continued on until October 2017 shortly before the resignation of Luis Elizondo, the program’s director.
As I reported in the February issue of The MUFON Journal(see “Cover Story”), Luis Elizondo resigned on October 4, 2017 due to excessive levels of security and internal opposition. He then joined the for-profit organization To The Stars / Academy of Arts and Science (TTS/AAS) founded by Tom DeLonge.
TTS/AAS aims to investigate “exotic science and technologies,” according to its website. “We believe there is sufficient credible evidence of unidentified aerial phenomena [UAP] that proves exotic technologies exist that could revolutionize the human experience.”  TTS/AAS is share-funded by their supporters and has fundraised more that $2.2 million from nearly 2,500 investors.
In a separate but related story, the Pentagon released a video of gun camera footage taken by a US Navy F/A-18 aviator, showing a white, oval-shaped object that hovered and later accelerated at incredible speeds. See the related article in this month’s Journaledition about the USS Nimitz incident. Since the disclosure announcement by the Pentagon, this story has been widely reported. The following are a few of the sobering reports from a variety of sources within the news media.
Normally, the Internet website, Space.com, reports stories along the lines of what NASA and ESA wantreported. They have often described the reasons why “little green men,” flying saucers and UFOs cannotbe real. But not this time. It’s hard to discount what the Pentagon openly revealed on December 17, 2017. Here are a few quotations from Space.com:
“The former head of a secret government programto investigate UFO sightingstold several media outlets that extraterrestrial life may exist. Simultaneously, the public benefit corporation he is affiliated with has raised more than $2.2 million to research “exotic technologies” affiliated with “unidentified aerial phenomena.”
“My personal belief is that there is very compelling evidence that we may not be alone,” said Luis Elizondo, the person who formerly managed the Pentagon’s Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program, in an interview with CNN.
“Elizondo said the program had found ‘a lot’ of strange aircraft while it was in existence. ‘These aircraft — we’ll call them aircraft — are displaying characteristics that are not currently within the U.S. inventory nor in any foreign inventory that we are aware of,’ he said.” 
Cable News Network (CNN)
According to CNN,
“A former Pentagon official who led a recently revealed government program to research potential UFOs said Monday evening that he believes there is evidence of alien life reaching Earth.
“’My personal belief is that there is very compelling evidence that we may not be alone,’ Luis Elizondo said in an interview on CNN’s ‘Erin Burnett OutFront.’” 
Elizondo said Monday that he could not speak on behalf of the government, but he strongly implied there was evidence that stopped him from ruling out the possibility that alien “aircraft” have been and are visiting Earth.
“’These aircraft — we’ll call them aircraft — are displaying characteristics that are not currently within the US inventory nor in any foreign inventory that we are aware of,’ Elizondo said of objects they researched. He said the program sought to identify what had been seen, either through tools or eyewitness reports, and then ‘ascertain and determine if that information is a potential threat to national security.’” “’We found a lot,’” Elizondo said.
The former Pentagon official said they identified “anomalous” aircraft that were “seemingly defying the laws of aerodynamics.”
“’Things that don’t have any obvious flight services, any obvious forms of propulsion, and maneuvering in ways that include extreme maneuverability beyond, I would submit, the healthy G-forces of a human or anything biological,’ Elizondo said.” 
CBS’s The Morning Show
On the CBS The Morning show, featuring Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell, Luis Elizondo was quoted as saying that the Pentagon had studied UFO reports from 2007. Mr. Elizondo’s photograph was displayed, and he was identified as a civilian employee and director of a UFO study group within the Pentagon.
The New York Times (NYT)
Elizondo resigned from the DoD program stating in his resignation letter that there needs to be more attention paid to “the many accounts from the Navy and other services of unusual aerial systems interfering with military weapon platforms and displaying beyond-next-generation capabilities,” according to The New York Times.
The New York Times’report on the government UFO study included a pair of videos of pilots remarking on something mysterious they were seeing. One of the pilots, retired Commander David Fravor, told CNN that he had witnessed an object that looked like a “40-foot-long Tic Tac” maneuvering rapidly and changing its direction during a flight in 2004.
MSNBC’s Morning Joe
On the Morning Joetelevision show on December 18, the TV anchorman and former Congressional Representative, Joe Scarborough, made references to the gun camera footage recorded in 2004. He said that he was particularly impressed by the flight characteristics and maneuverability of the craft as it was pursued by the US Navy’s F/A-18 jet fighters. His co-anchor, Mika Bryzezinski, daughter of the late Dr. Zbigniew Bryzezinski, former National Security Advisor to Jimmy Carter and alleged former member of MJ-12, appeared totally dismissive to the announcement.
National Public Radio (NPR)
In an interview by NPR, Elizondo added that his remarks don’t necessarily mean the craft were extraterrestrial, as his focus was more on learning about any potential challenge to national security.
“’If you’re asking my personal opinion from here, look, I’ve got to be honest with you, I don’t know where it’s from. But we’re pretty sure it’s not here,’ Elizondo told NPR. ‘Now does that mean it’s ‘out there’? Whether or not it’s Russian or Chinese inside, or little green men from Mars, or frankly, your neighbor’s dog, I wanted to purposely steer away from that [speculation], because I wanted to focus on truly the raw science: What were we seeing, and did it pose a threat to national security?’” 
POLITICO reported that after Elizondo left the DoD, he joined TTS/AAS, the company co-founded by the former Blink-182 musician (DeLonge) that says it looks into issues surrounding government secrecy and unidentified objects.
In a statement Monday, December 18, 2017, former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid continued to defend the Pentagon’s AATIP program:
“’I’m proud of this program and its ground-breaking studies speak for themselves,” the statement read. ‘It is silly and counterproductive to politicize the serious scientific questions raised by the work of this program, which was funded on a bipartisan basis.’” 
And what about ABC News? On February 24, 2005, Peter Jennings, the late ABC News anchor moderated his “UFOs —Seeing Is Believing” program taking a fresh look at the UFO phenomenon. “As a journalist,” said Jennings, “I began this project with a healthy dose of skepticism and as open mind as possible. After almost 150 interviews with scientists, investigators and with many of those who claim to have witnessed unidentified flying objects, there are important questions that have not been completely answered —and a great deal not fully explained.”  Peter Jennings would be proud had he lived to hear of the Pentagon’s disclosure.
We have been hearing UFO reports on television for decades (well, at least for this writer). When one of those segments finished, typically the anchorperson either giggled or made a joke about “little green men.” Not any more. How can you giggle at a report from the Pentagon disclosing the fact that one of their departments has been studying UFOs since 2007? By the way, also acknowledged was that the director of this program resigned due to extreme secrecy and internal opposition imposed on his group. They didn’t mention the fact that that person also has since become a charter member of a civilian group (TTS/AAS) that promises to release further information on the subject of UFOs. So no giggles, no jokes, no little green men. Not only that, this same disclosure statement was beamed out on multiple international television channels and on the Internet including the conservative Space.comwebsite. Let us all hope that this is a positive sign for the future. It’s about time . . .
MUFON Executive Director Jan Harzan is asking all MUFON members, as well as the public, to contact their Congressional Representative and Senators to investigate the USS Nimitz incident and to support the continuance of the AATIP program.
- Howell, Elizabeth, “We May Not Be Alone, Former UFO Investigator Says,”Space.com, December 20, 2017.
- Courtesy of TTS/AAS. https://dpo.tothestarsacademy.com
- Watkins, Eli and Brian Todd, “Official: ‘We may not be alone,” CNN, December 19, 2017
- Screen shot of MSNBC interview of Ralph Blumenthal of The New York Times reviewing his DoD UFO story.
- POLITICO, December 18, 2017.
- Watkins, Eli and Brian Todd, “Official: ‘We may not be alone,” CNN, December 19, 2017
- Courtesy of Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.org
© T. L. Keller 2017